The most delicious holiday cupcake ever. They are very dense and not crumbly at all. The frosting has just a little bit of pumpkin and it is not an over kill of pumpkin at all. Below is the recipe.
THE PUMPKIN CUPCAKE
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil, plus more as needed ( or Canola oil is fine too)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée (not pie filling; about 1 3/4 cups)
WHAT TO DO
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line 2 (12-well) muffin pans with paper liners. Alternatively, coat the wells with vegetable oil; set aside.
- Place the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps; set aside.
- Place the sugar and measured oil in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until the sugar is incorporated, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle with a rubber spatula.
- Return the mixer to medium speed and add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, about 1 1/2 minutes total mixing time. Reduce the speed to medium low, add the pumpkin, and beat until just combined, about 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle with a rubber spatula.
- Turn the mixer to low speed, slowly add the flour mixture, and beat until almost completely incorporated, about 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in any unincorporated flour at the edges with a rubber spatula, making sure to scrape to the bottom of the bowl.
- Fill the muffin wells three-quarters of the way (about a heaping 1/4 cup per well). Place the muffin pans side by side in the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Rotate the pans front to back and side to side and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean, about 10 minutes more.
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée (not pie filling)
- Place the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl and whisk to combine; set aside.
- Place the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until fully combined and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to low, slowly add the powdered sugar mixture, and beat until fully incorporated and smooth, about 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the paddle and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed, add the pumpkin, and mix until fully incorporated and smooth, about 1 minute. Use immediately.